Knightstown is a small town but don’t let its size fool you – it packs a big punch when it comes to things to do and see. With its rich history, charming downtown area, and variety of activities, Knightstown is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling through Indiana. And for basketball fans, this town holds a special place in history as the filming location for the movie Hoosiers. In this guide, we’ll show you 10 ways to score some serious fun in Knightstown.
- Hoops at Hoosier Gym
- The Hoosier Gym is a historic basketball gym that served as the setting for the movie “Hoosiers,” which tells the story of a small-town basketball team that wins the state championship. Visitors can tour the gym, which has been restored to look just as it did in the movie. You can also shoot some hoops on the same court that was used in the movie. The Hoosier Gym is a true gem for basketball enthusiasts and movie buffs alike.
- Catch a Game at the Knightstown Sports Complex
- The Knightstown Sports Complex is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a fun day out and to watch the star athletes of tomorrow in their early days. With basketball courts, softball fields, and soccer fields, there is something for everyone. The complex also has a playground, a walking trail, and plenty of picnic areas, making it the perfect spot for a family outing. View their schedule here.
- Swing for the Fences at Sunset Park
- Sunset Park is a great place to spend a sunny afternoon. The park features a baseball diamond, a playground, and plenty of picnic areas. Take a stroll around the walking path or bring your own bat and ball to hit a few home runs.
- Explore the Knightstown Academy Museum
- The Knightstown Academy served as the town’s first high school and was built in the 1860s. Now, it serves as a museum that showcases the town’s history and culture. Visitors can tour the museum to learn more about Knightstown’s past, including its role in the Underground Railroad.
- Shop and Dine in Downtown Knightstown
- Take a dribble through Knightstown’s historic downtown and discover its unique character. You’ll find a variety of quaint shops and restaurants, many housed in historic buildings. Boutique on Main offers a slam-dunk selection of women’s clothing and accessories. Block and Brew serves an amazing burger and fries. If you’re in the mood for some dessert, Ye Olde Corner Bakery offers a three-pointer of delicious pastries and other desserts.
- Take a Hike on the Big Blue River Trail
- The Big Blue River Trail is a scenic hiking trail that winds along the Big Blue River. The trail is about 1.5 miles long and is a great place to go for a peaceful walk. Along the way, you’ll see beautiful views of the river and surrounding countryside.
- Have a Blast Kayaking the Big Blue River
- If you’re looking for a fun day out on the water, check out our guide to navigating a day on the Big Blue River. It’s perfect for novice and experienced boaters. There are also places to pull over and enjoy lunch, making it a great place for a family outing and an opportunity for you to score fun here in Knightstown.
- Play a Round at Royal Hylands Golf Club
- If golf is your game, you won’t want to miss the Royal Hylands Golf Club. This 18-hole course features rolling hills, scenic views, and challenging holes. After your round, grab a drink and a bite to eat at the clubhouse.
- See the Sights at Glen Cove Cemetery
- While it may seem unusual to visit a cemetery, we’re big fans of the beauty and peace you’ll find in our historic Glen Cove Cemetery. There are about 22,000 graves – with the oldest from 1838. Take a moment to reflect, enjoy the trees, and marvel at the different styles of grave markers that you’ll find as you stroll along.
- Check Off Everything on Our Historic Sites List
- It’s a tall order, but give yourself a point for every item on our Must-See Historical Sites list. There are 15 entries – which means 15 options for a fun, interesting tour of Knightstown, Indiana. Get started here.
We hope this article gave you more information about the things you can do to score fun here! There is so much more in Knightstown for you to enjoy. Stay up to date and get more Knightstown travel tips by signing up for our monthly newsletter or following us on social media. For more articles just like this one, check out the other article on our blog.